Re: backup and restore

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 11:37:10AM -0800, Ron McKown wrote:

> service ldap stop
> slapcat -f /etc/openldap/slapd.conf -l backup.ldif
> service ldap start
>
> i move the backup.ldif and slapd.conf file to the other computer, then:
> slapadd -f /etc/opendldap/slapd.conf -l backup.ldif
> (i get no errors here, i'm assuming all went well).
> service ldap start
> (again, no errors)
>
> however, now it seems that there is no data in the new database.
> did i use the wrong commands for this operation?  is there a better way?
> also, what is the best way to blow away a LDAP database on a machine?

Looks like a reasonable set of commands to me. You should check that
the new machine has the database directory created and set to the
right owner etc before starting. Also check that you run slapadd as
the same user that slapd will run as (permissions problems are the
most likely cause of the problem you report).

A good sanity check is to run the slapcat command on the new machine
to see what is in the database created by slapadd.

If all the above looks OK but you still get no results from slapd, you
will need to turn up the log level to see what is going on. Details in
the slapd.conf manpage, but you might try 769 to start with (this
level is too detailed for production use, so you may want to reduce to
768 later).

Andrew