Upgrade to 2.1 can no longer bind

I upgraded from openldap 2.0.25 to 2.1.8.  With version 2.0.25 I was
able to do authentication from radius to ldap but can no longer do so.
I notice I also cannot bind successfully as a user.  Both attempts
result in the same error message in the ldap log file:

Conn=3 op=0 RESULT tag=97 err=49 text=

Since there is no text associated with this error, I haven't a clue why
the bind operation is not working.  Can anyone help me find the
numerical error codes or suggest where the problem might lie?

BTW,  I have added the "allow bind_v2" feature in my slapd.conf file
since I'm pretty sure that radius uses v2 binding.

Thanks,

Mike