ldapadd : Object class violation : attribute mail not allowed

Hi All,

I'm using RedHat7.2 and have installed and configured openLDAP 2.0.27 using the slapd.conf file. When I try to add a record using ldapadd that includes the mail, title and uid attributes, I receive an error:

ldapadd -v -x -f /tmp/newentry -W -D 'cn=ldapmanager,dc=mydomain,dc=com'

example:
ldap_add: Object class violation
               additional info: attribute 'mail' not allowed.

Then I included objectclass: inetOrgPerson in my newentry file hoping that it would include the mail attribute, but I got another error:
ldap_add: Invalid syntax
additional info: objectclass: value#2 invalid per syntax
ldif_record()=21

Is there something else I can try? Please help and indicate what I can do to solve this problem.

Thanks