Follow up to Corrupt Index files

This is a follow up message to the thread started by Darren Gamble with the subject "Corrupt index files" (http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200208/msg00230.html)

I appear to be having similiar problems with index corruption, and I'm looking for both a reason why it happened and how it can be prevented in the future, with the latter concern being much higher priority.

I believe the version that was being used at the time was 2.0.18 with BDB 3.x.x (I don't know the exact minor version). Judging by previous posts, and whats in the documentation, I'm assuming that the operator of the directory server ran a slapcat or slapadd on the server without shutting it down first. Unless anyone else has any ideas why the corruption may have occured, this is what I'm assuming happened (we've been running this version since February, 2002 I think with little to no problems since, until now).

Now a couple of issues/questions:

i) Is running OpenLDAP 2.1 and BDB 4 a much safer configuration? I've noticed that with this configuration you can run the directory server using back-bdb which allows "hot-backups" (not shutting down the server in order to run a slapcat), since it uses finer grained locking than back-ldbm which I think is the only choice available when using Berkeley DB with OpenLDAP versions before 2.1. However, if we upgrade to this version are we introducing new problems? What are the most stable releases of OpenLDAP 2.1 and BDB 4?

ii) I stumbled across another email posted by Kurt Zeilenga (http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/199911/msg00024.html) way back in November 1999 that was posted in reply to another issue similiar to mine. This post appears to me as the beginning of the back-bdb development, however it also peaked my interest because of the possibility of a tool to check data integrity. Is there anything out there (currently, or in development) that will do this for OpenLDAP backend databases? I mean, when I do a backup (specifically of id2entry.dbb and dn2id.dbb - if they are still used with back-bdb), I'd like to be confident that I'm backing up good data and not a database that's already corrupt, and that we might be able to detect corrupt files/indices before its too late.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin McEachern
Software Developer
Research In Motion Limited