RE: SASL, TLS & Client Certificates

As already noted in the Admin Guide, SASL/EXTERNAL is only offered by slapd
if the server receives a valid client cert from the client. If you follow the
Admin Guide and set up your .ldaprc as required, then you'll see EXTERNAL as
one of your choices. (Also assuming you apply the SASL library patch I posted
to the Cyrus SASL list a few days ago.)

On the server (slapd.conf) you must specify at least:
TLSCACertificate{File|Path}
TLSCertificateFile
TLSCertificateKeyFile
TLSVerifyClient <allow|try|demand>

In ldap.conf you may specify TLS_CACERT. If not in ldap.conf then you must
specify it in your .ldaprc file. You must specify TLS_CERT and TLS_KEY in
your .ldaprc file.

If none of this makes sense, or none of this is obvious from reading the
Guide, then feel free to suggest some other wording to clarify things.

I have no idea what you're referring to when you mention "LDAP/PEM prompts"
in your email. Perhaps you can clarify that point.

  -- Howard Chu