Re: openldap server load serving sendmail access map

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, curtis wrote:

> For reference, I did some debugging to see what sendmail does with the
> access map...

Thanks for that; I'd often wondered myself.

> Given the way sendmail does all these possible lookups (and this is just
> for the access map, we haven't gotten into the other maps), I'd say that
> it is more efficient to use a local Berkeley DB for the access map, but
> the LDAP solution is nicer for centralization and flexibility.

How about a compromise?  Centralise the information in LDAP, and rebuild
the local access map each night.

> Thanks for the tips... I should have looked more to how sendmail was
> using this map sooner.  I have to wonder now what the overhead of all these
> lookups are in just using a local Berkeley DB...... less for sure, but still
> seems like the flexibility of the map is a bit overkill and could be better
> served by having two or three maps take it's place using very specific
> lookups for each of those two to three maps.

You can thank the spammers for that.

--
Dave Horsfall  DTM  VK2KFU  daveh@ci.com.au  Ph: +61 2 9906-4333