35 slapd processes, lookups fail?

Title: 35 slapd processes, lookups fail?

Hi all:

I'm running OpenLDAP v2.0.23 compiled from source on RH 7.1 with 1 master and 3 slaves.  The only client for the LDAP slaves is a couple of firewalls that use them to validate about 1500 users.  After a period of weeks, I'll see about 39 slapd processes running on one of the slaves and the firewall is no longer able to validate the users.  The firewall automatically rolls to another slave, and the scenario repeats.  After the last slave is exhausted, the firewall starts coming back with 'user unknown' errors.  I'm able to use an LDAP browser (Softerra) to get into the slaves and search the databases.  If I kill the master slapd process on a slave and restart it, we're good to go again.

Any ideas?

-john

This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged or confidential information.  If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original.  Any other use of the email by you is prohibited.