simple bind and crypt hash

How does openldap hash the incoming bind password before comparing to the hash stored in ldap? ie. How does it figure out the salt?

Does it use the password-crypt-salt-format to determine the salt? The man page says salt format is only used with exop.

I'm asking this because crypting the password and then setting the userpassword attribute to that hash doesn't seem to work. The only way that succeeds is if I set the userpassword attribute to the cleartext password.

--Kervin