ldap_bind Invalid DN entry?!?!

hi,

I've set up an OpenLDAP server and I try to use it through the Netscape
API. I have the rootdn set to "toto" and the rootpass to "toto".
When I do:

ldapsearch -x toto -w toto -b "o=my_org,c=fr"

I get all the users under this base entry. But when I try to use ldap_bind
or ldap_simple_bind with "toto" as user DN and "toto" as password I get
"Invalid DN entry". I do not understand...How does ldapsearch manages to
bind and search and what should I do in my C code to achieve the same
result.

thanks,
alex.

ps: I MUST use ONLY "toto" as rootdn and not a classic dn entry...