Dereferencing alias causes slapd to crash silently

Hello,

I have a problem, I think it might be a bug --
I created an alias in my DIT pointing to a valid entry in another part of the DIT. Now if I do a search which touches this alias (assuming alias dereferencing is on), the server will silently stop. (I tried various different loglevel settings, there is nothing to indicate a failure -- the slapd process just dies.) If I do a search without dereferencing, the alias entry is returned as expected. This behavior was reproduced with different clients (including the CLUI ldapsearch.)

I am running OpenLDAP 2.1.6 on RedHat Linux 7.3 (kernel 2.4.18)
I am using the 'ldbm' backend (since bdb doesn't support aliases.)
I tested both --with-ldbm-api=berkeley and --with-ldbm-api=gdbm -- problem occurs regardless.
Using Berkeley, I tested both 4.0.14 and 4.1.24 -- problem occurs regardless.
I built it with gcc 3.0.4 and 2.96 -- same result (although Berkeley's configure complained about gcc2.96.)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
David Pisoni
Sr. Software Engineer,