Re: dc question

Hi,

On Tuesday 15 October 2002 17:54, you wrote:
> ok so as you say the RDN, in my example "blabla" should be the value of my
> dc, correct ? I still don't understand why this is required but I will do
> it like that as some of you said it's a good practice.
>
> Thanks for the help again

I was a bit fuzzy with my words:
The RDN ist the whole part "dc=blabla",
the naming attribut is "dc" and
it's value is "blabla".

What I wanted to say is:
If the RDN of an object is "XX=YYYY" then
the object should contain an attribute XX with
the value YYYY.

In your special case, the dc attribute is a MUST attribute
of the objectclass dcObject. So you need to have it anyway.

But even if it is no MUST attribute of the objectclass:
I do not know if it is required by the X.500 data model and
I am too lazy to look through the RFCs, but you SHOULD
have it too, since other directory servers do require it, and
maybe even some client software requires it.

BTW if you leave it out, searching for the object
unsing the filter "(XX=YYYY)" will not be possible.

CU
peter

--
Peter Marschall     |   eMail: peter.marschall@mayn.de