Re: dc question

>In the OpenLDAP quick-start guide you suggest to add the following:
>dn: dc=example,dc=com
>objectclass: dcObject
>objectclass: organization
>o: Example company
>dc: example
>What I do not quite understand is what the last dc is for ? The o I
>understand that is for the company name but the dc has only example in it,
>what should the dc value represent really ?

dc is "Domain Component"

example.com is Example Company.

One could also have

dc=laboratory,dc=example,dc=com
objectclass: dcObject
objectclass: organization
o: Example companies' Laboratory
dc: labs

beneath dc=example,dc=com if one wanted to delegate that to a separate
three.

One can also image that somewhere in the ether there is a "dc=com" that
contains subordinate info references to all the dc=*,dc=com servers on
the internet.  I think there are a couple of projects to create just
such as thing.  Would be wonderful.

>Is it also a good principle to add this short info to the LDAP directory or
>is it only really to test in the purpose of the quickstart guide.

It is good practice, at least IMHO.