programatically retrive the schema inforamation

Hi all,
Is it possible to programatically retrive the schema inforamation from
directory server? my problem is,
 allowing directory client applications to programmatically( C language)
retrieve the schema and adept their behavior based on it.  At deployment
site, my client program keep on changing because of attirbute are
changing.
Is there any option to  get the attribute from remote ldap server it
would be helpful for me to generalize the client library.

regards
Pandry