dn/cn from within lutil_passwd?

I'd like to check cn from the binding dn, from within the lutil_passwd()
function in /libraries/liblutil/passwd.c .However this is only
passed the userPassword attribute, the bind password and some
schema info from slap_passwd_check in /servers/slapd/passwd.c

As far as I can tell (I'm no c programmer!) the various structs available
in lutil_passwd don't have access to the bind dn. Also I don't want to
pass extra parameters from slap_passwd_check in to lutil_passwd as this
would break the library defn. Therefore I'm looking for how to get the
bind dn (or just the binding cn) from some existing structure/pointer in
lutil_passwd, or from some function I can call within lutil_passwd.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be
much appreciated!

Paul