core dump when using -u switch

Hello all,

thanks for your helpful responses to my previuos queries. i have a problem here with my setup and was hoping you can help.

i am using openldap-2.1.3 on solaris 9. if i try starting slapd with -u switch, i get "Bus Error (core dumped)"

for example, the core dumps if i try this:
1) /<some-path>/libexec/slapd -h ldap://somemachine.columbia.edu:9050/ -f /<some-path>/etc/openldap/slapd.conf -u ldapuser

but everything is ok if i try this while logged in as ldapuser:
2) /<some-path>/libexec/slapd -h ldap://somemachine.columbia.edu:9050/ -f /<some-path>/etc/openldap/slapd.conf

what's odd is that once i have started the server with line 2), i can successfully start other ldap instances on different ports (or even on the same port!) in the same install dir with -u switch. the whole /<some-path> is owned by ldapuser

i am very confused. is this solaris<->ldap related problem?

thanks for any help!
james