Radio Based IP Lookup

We're trying to minimize our dependancy on a fully populated /etc/host file.

We have peer-to-peer, local group-grope, and hierarchy references.

Each computer uses IP over low bandwidth radio, where UDP is favored over TCP
(analogous to a radio broadcast versus establishing sucessive 1-1 connections.)

Any chance someone has looked at using <nsswitch.conf> host: file ldap
(RedHat 7.2) such that all communications are connectionless UDP?

If not, we'd love to hack at it ourselves.  Guidelines?  Suggestions?

(p.s., sorry for using a cheap email account, get way too much spam.)