corrupt id2entry.dbb

Folks:

I have what appears to be a corrupt id2entry.dbb file.  Symptoms:

--> "ldbmcat id2entry.dbb > ldif" dies with a segmentation fault.  The
resulting ldif file ends with a couple of screens of these garbage
characters: "Û¶mÛ¶mÛm".

--> ldapsearch returns incomplete results.

--> the id2entry.dbb file itself contains a couple of screens of the
garbage characters noted above (I copied it and went into the copy with
vi, LOL.), inside one particular record.

Well I don't know, but I'd guess that that particular record has become
corrupted and is messing things up.  I'm unable to delete the record with
ldapdelete, or modify it with ldapmodify.

Unfortunately the last good backup is two months old, so if it's at all
possible I'd love to repair this sick id2entry.dbb.

OpenLdap 1.2 on Redhat 6.2.

Thanks for any ideas.

--Mark