posixGroup & adressbook

Hi OpenLDAP'ers,

We use OpenLDAP 2.0.25 on Debian Linux 3.0 for an organisation wide adressbook
and unix logins. We are finetuning our setup and encountered a
problem. I'll appreciate your comments, how to solve the problem.

The objectclass "posixGroup" use the attribute "cn", so that we get
a naming problem for the RDN and unixgroupname.

All preferred mailclients (Netcape/Mozilla/Pine) search for cn
entries, so that all unix groups are shown for the client.
This short name is not very informative for an enduser.
(for example: "bachelor02" instead of "List of all bachelor students
2002")

If we add another "cn" entry, every mailclient behaves differently,
netscape use the second entry, pine the first ... not very
determinist.

I would prefer a server side solution.

Any hints?

One idea I have, is to use a new objectclass with one attribute
(addonGroup/groupName) which every group will include.
Then I could patch nss_ldap to search for "groupName" instead of
"cn". (necessary modifications to nss-ldap, seems to be very small)

But I don't know if this will break anything else.

thanks in advance for any response.

bye
  Waldemar

--
8485 D0CE 2743 656E 867C  5C93 0317 AFD8 BE21 BD90