variations on required software for openldap

Besides the required software in section 4.2 of the Administrator's guide,
what software is required for building openldap?  (The software in 4.2
listed is openSSL, Kerberos, SASL, Berkeley DB, Threads, and TCP Wrappers.
I think only berekeley and threads are required.)

I'm asking since I've run into the problem that the 'make test' tests need
GNU diff, not solaris diff.  So, I'm wondering what other software needs the
GNU versions rather than the platform-specific versions.

Things that jump out as possible are gcc (obviously), make, diff, patch, and
libtool.  Does anyone know if these GNU versions are requred?  In my case,
I'm already using gcc, but I haven't been using these other GNU tools.

--
Andrew Diederich