Re: Authentication using DN or uid?

uid or DN ? That's the question.

I am writing an application that knows already almost all parts of
the DN, the user supplies the last part of it.

For instance, if we are on the website of example.com, the
webinterface knows that the user is

cn=UserInput,dc=example,dc=com

Hence, it is fairly easy to authenticate using the DN.
This simplifies ACL's and security, (AFAIK) because acces to certain
entries can be matched by DN.

However, for some applications it might be needed to authenticate at
the uid level. For instance ftp or email, the uid used is something
like

user@ftp.example.com (for ftp)
or user@example.com (for email).

As far as I understand, the process goes as follows:
1. user tries to authenticate using user@example.com
2. ldapclient needs to be able to search the entire directory or at
least a ceratin subtree, to find the DN that has this uid.
3. ldapclient needs to rebind using the found DN and the password.

In this model, anonymus search should be allowed; in the first
model, no anonymous search (and subsequent rebind) is needed since
we already have the DN.

Cheers,
ace

o> I've been working with LDAP fairly successfully for about six
months now,

--
Ace Suares, Internet Consultancy and Training
Keizersgracht 132,      1015 CW AMSTERDAM, NL