RE: could not find suitable LDBM backend

That's because your BerkeleyDB 4 isn't properly installed. Until you type
"make install" it isn't installed. Read the docs in your source directory or
on the web:
http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/ref/build_unix/intro.html

> > What file should I specifically be trying to locate, and how do
> I properly
> > set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and CPPFLAGS to point to it?

LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS for the build. LD_LIBRARY_PATH is for runtime.

Note in this FAQ article:

The very first sentence says "Use CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS."

> > Alternatively, do I really need ldbm? The purpose of ldap on
> this machine
> > is to use the qmail_ldap patch for qmail authentication and to get all
> > qmail user account information from an LDAP database.

It sounds to me like you need an LDAP database if you want to store user
account information in an LDAP database.

> > Please let me know if any other information is needed.
>
> FWIW:

> 3: IIRC one of the two gentlemen pointed out in this list that BDB 4.1
> should *not* be used with Openldap 2.1.x;

Where "x" is less than 5. The just-released OpenLDAP 2.1.5 includes support
for BDB 4.1. There is no support for BDB 4.1 in OpenLDAP 2.0, perhaps that's
what you meant.

This really isn't difficult to keep straight, if you actually pay attention
to what you're doing, and pay attention to exactly what's been written.
What's the point of writing documentation with careful step-by-step
instructions if no one is going to be careful when (if???) they read them?

Anyone who has been around computers for any length of time must already be
painfully aware that computers only do exactly what you tell them. If you
want to make a computer system do what you want, you must state very
precisely what it is that you want. You will only be able to state things in
exacting detail if you paid close attention to the description of how things
work, and how they are to be made to work. If you're unwilling or unable to
devote this relentless attention to detail to the task, then you might as
well wash your hands of it all and go find something else to do because
otherwise you're just wasting time.

  -- Howard Chu