program compiling LDAP

Hi everybody,

I am trying to compile the OPenLDAp but the ./configure script cannot
locate a software that is already installed:

checking for db.h... no
configure: error: BDB: BerkeleyDB not available

however db.h is found on my harddisk at
/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1/include/db.h

and also...

[root]# rpm -qa |grep db
db3-utils-3.2.9-4
db1-1.85-7
db2-2.4.14-7
db3-3.3.11-6
db-4.0.14-84

I even did:
 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1/include; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

and also

env CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1/include/" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1/include/" ./configure

as explained in the faq "How do I specify additional compiler include/lib
search directories?" but with no success :o(

how can I come to have configure to locate DB correctly?
thanks a lot for your help
best regards
Servet