Re: client dns lookups, can they be disabled?

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 10:49:55PM +1000, Geoff Swan wrote:

> When I use ldapsearch (or any client which uses the openLDAP client
> libraries) to perform a search on the database at this server (by
> specifying the IP address of the server), the client appears to attempt
> to perform a DNS lookup before the bind operation (an ethereal trace
> shows this).
>
> Is there any way to prevent this? It slows down the search considerably.

If DNS lookups have a significant effect on search time, there is
something badly wrong with your DNS setup. DNS lookups on domains
under your control should be lightning-fast.

Using IP addresses in configs is a false 'economy' - when you need to
re-organise your servers you will have far fewer options if everything
has fixed addresses wired into the config. It will also prevent you
from using TLS properly.

Andrew