RE: Write-intensive LDAP

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Howard Chu wrote:

> [...]

- File locking has been in unix as long as I've known about it. There
are applications where "last writer wins" doesn't work. NFS does have
file locking and in modern version it even works.

> If you update an entry and then someone else
> updates the entry 5 msec later, and then you read the entry, certainly you
> won't see the data you just wrote. If you need some other kind of behavior
> you can implement it at your application level. Of course, if you have an app
> that immediately re-reads what it just wrote, I think there's something
> broken in your app's design; it ought to know what it wrote without
> re-reading it.

- What if the other part of your application is across the country? If
something needs to READ every update, how do you guarantee that
this happens? The WIRM principal applies to a specific piece of
information in the ldap server. If you're writing stuff that
isn't going to change, then yes "lots of writes" is an
implementation issue, not a protocol one.

- Booker C. Bense