Re: DNSSRV (was: Splitting directory over backends)

Rick van Rein wrote:

Just curious: How many domains have a SRV RR _ldap._tcp.<domain> so that it's worth thinking about offloading root.openldap.org?

Not sure, but the concept has a potential to grow -- it's so lovely.

If I understand it well, VeriSign is trying to mimick root.openldap.org?

Are you referring to ldap://ldap.research.netsol.com? As I understand it that's a different thing.

In general, it seems useful to offload Internet connections if that's an
easy configuration choice

Off course.

(which it is, starting with OpenLDAP 2.1.5 or so,
as Howard pointed out).  And in general, it's good practice in distributed
computing to avoid anything central, if possible.  And it is possible.

And you can even do it within your LDAP client. :-)

Ciao, Michael.