Re: Fw: OpenLDAP Search bug?

At 02:35 PM 2002-09-09, Banzaitron wrote:
>I have set logging to show everything and the problem is that the candidate
>set as you call it is the ENTIRE TREE!!!  It is ignoring my start DN and it
>is searching below AND above the DN I pass, regardless of the search scope.

In one of your previous post, you described one case where
you ONLY changed the filter from a (objectClass=*) to
(objectClass=myorgservice) caused the candidate to be
quite large (presumable all entries in the database).

This is odd because, assuming everything else is equal
(including DN and scope), the latter search candidate
set should be subset of the former search candidate
set.

Looking at the logs, one can determine which indexing
component(s) caused this oddity.

You can do the same with DNs and scope subtree.  That is,
a search of a DN with scope subtree should have a
candidate set which is a subset of the search for its
parent with scope subtree.   If not, that would be odd.

Looking at the logs, one can determine which indexing
component(s) caused this oddity.

But a candidate set which happens to include an entry
which doesn't match all of the search criteria (including
DN, scope, filter, etc.) isn't odd.  It's called a
candidate set because it includes, in addition to
all entries which do match the criteria, some number
of entries that do not.  The number of these entries
depends on how effective the indexing system was on
reducing the candidate set from all entries to the
subset of entries matching all of the search criteria.

Kurt