Re: BackUp on-line

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002 13:43:43 -0400 (EDT)
Andrew Bacchi <bacchi@rpi.edu> wrote:

> > i have problem, i get a directory service. it run every time every
> > day. My problem are the BackUp actions. Because the special
> > conditions of the service, i cant stop the slapd and slurp and i
> > must do the security copies on-line.

> > could this copies are bad? till today i havent need to use
> > it. could have problem at restore?  and if this copies are wrong,
> > are any tool to recover it?

> As with many databases the service should be stopped before backing
> up the database.  This is to ensure a backup of all data, and
> prevent any changes being made during the backup process.

You could use replicas and DNS games as well, but this all ends up
being rather awkward.

Need a remote network hot-backup to ldif?  Try the ldapsearch
commandline tool.  This works nearly as well as slapcat in most
instances.

Make sure you are configured so that full directory dumps don't take
to long as they can stall modify operations until they complete.
Consider dumping from a replica if that becomes an issue.

Or taking a replica offline briefly and using slapcat.

Matthew Backes
lucca@csun.edu