LDAP talking on ports 636 and 389 at same time?

We are using OpenLDAP 2.0.23 on FreeBSD 4.6, using TLS/SSL
but not SASL.  Recently I realised that when I used
ldapsearch -H ldaps://ldap.au.cordoors.com ....
the results of my inquiry were returned encrypted from
port  636, which is kind of what I expected, AND in
clear text from port 389.

This only seems to be happening from one of our client machines;
the others are getting queries returned only via port 636.
Can anyone suggest what bit of my configuration I should
go looking in to find out why this is happening?  As far as I
know, our configurations are very similar everywhere, except
for which directories are masters and which are slaves.

Any insight appreciated.

--Chris Robertson
Corinthian Engineering
Sydney Australia