Noob configuration issues

I'm trying to set up openldap, following the administrators guide and
quickstart howto. I'm running NetBSD-1.5.2 and using the pkgsrc install.

My slapd.conf file looks like this:

database        ldbm
suffix          "dc=mcleodlake,dc=com"
rootdn          "cn=kmastin,dc=mcleodlake,dc=com"
rootpw          hash:/etc/passwd
directory       /var/openldap/ldap-data
index   objectClass     eq

I have a directory with permissions set to 0700: /var/openldap/ldap-data

After starting slapd:
bash-2.05# /usr/local/libexec/slapd
... or even
bash-2.05# su root -c /usr/local/libexec/slapd
(doesn't matter which one I do, the results are the same)

In testing the config I get this:

bash-2.05# ldapsearch -x -b '' -s base '(objectclass=*)' namingContexts
ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server

ps shows no slapd server running. There was no error when starting the
server, which it does for every other server daemon I've configured on
this system (apache, qmail, etc.)

I searched the archives, but the closest match I found was where the admin
alrady had openldap running and changed IP addresses or some other config,
but none for the first install.

Any ideas?

TIA
--
Keith Mastin       BeechTree Information Technology Services Inc.
137 Laird Drive    Toronto    M4G 3V5     http://www.beechtree.ca