Re: Please tell me I have something configured wrong...

At 08:22 PM 2002-08-21, Tony Thompson wrote:
>Well, I did some digging in the RFCs and I really can't find anything that says the LDAP server can't handle the DN a little better.  Can you point me specifically to the RFC and section that deals with this topic?

The relevant portion of the technical specification X.501(93)
which describes the X.500 models used in LDAP.  There are
(at least) three basic reasons for this behavior:

1) user application data is, just that, data which is maintained
   by user applications;

2) it is not feasible to ensure referential integrity across
   the distributed DIT;

3) a single update to the directory changes the contents
   of a single entry.

Kurt