Wildcard searches

Hi,

My company is deploying an OpenLDAP (2.0.21) server with > 100K entries in the
directory. On that LDAP server we have to do wilcard searches for functional
reasons. The problem, however, is that when I perform such a wilcard search,
it takes more than 100 seconds to complete! If I search for an exact match
(no wildcard), the search takes about 0.15 seconds. Is there any way of
improving the search time? I've already experimented with the
SLAPD_LDBM_MIN_MAXIDS parameter (increased it from 8192 to 128000 and 256000)
in /include/ldap_defaults.h. When I increased that parameter, I did
completely rebuild OpenLDAP 2.0.21, cleared its directory contents and
re-added the entries. But unfortunately I don't see any improvements in
wildcard search time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Erik de Groot