Re: New To LDAP and to List

>I have been reading about LDAP lately and want to try and build a server
>using it with FreeBSD4.6. I have no DB skills so the concepts of how they
>interact is confusing to me. Does anyone have a site that will help the

There really isn't much that is terribly platform specific.

>simple to gain a foothold on how to build an LDAP server. Also, there are,

ftp://kalamazoolinux.org/pub/pdf/ldapv3.pdf

>AFAIK, a few different choices for security i.e. kerberos,ssl,certificates.

Depends upon what you use at the rest of your installation.  Kerberos is
an *authentication* protocol.  SSL is a "protocol" for encrypting
communication between hosts.  You probably want SSL,  but if don't
already have a KDC then Kerberos isn't for you.

>Which would be easiest to use with my first attempt at building this server?
>I have already read a few good sites and have bookmarked them, but I have
>had trouble finding FreeBSD specific setups that do not require a phd to
>understand, as I said earlier, this is my first attempt to build an LDAP
>server.

If the packages (openldap, db3, openssl) are available the fact you are
using BSD really shouldn't matter.