Re: Perplexed

fre, 2002-08-09 kl. 21:44 skrev Caylan Van Larson:

> > >"Never use IP numbers for hostnames, always use FQDNs". Well, for me
> > >TLS/SSL only works with my IP number (127.0.0.1), not localhost. or
> > >'uname -n' - the FQDN "billy.demon.nl".

> I think you are having because the certificates you create must be for the
> fqdn you are addressing in ldap.conf.

My fqdn is "localhost. " Because my notebook is not on the internet the
whole time. When it *is* on the Internet, it suddenly becomes
billy.demon.nl with a static ppp0 IP number, known on the Internet. If I
try with "localhost.", which is what my BIND DNS and /etc/hosts know,
ldap with TLS doesn't work with any sort of an fqdn. It does work with
"127.0.0.1".

> This means that if on your client
> machine /etc/ldap.conf points to your ldap server at ldap.domain.com your
> certificates must be for ldap.domain.com.  If they differ ssl/tls will puke.

Yes, basically that's what I discovered. The point is, that it is not
possible to give a FQDN; I have to give an IP number. Otherwise it
doesn't work. Believe me, I've tried everything else :-)

My question was: Why does everyone tell me not to do this (otherwise
nothing will work) and for me this is the only thing that works?

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

The usefulness of RTFM is vastly overrated.

e-post:		tonni@billy.demon.nl
www:		http://www.billy.demon.nl
gpg public key:	http://www.billy.demon.nl/tonni.armor

Telefoon:	(+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:		(+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG Fingerprint = 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981
3BE7B981