RE: slapadding a large bdb database

Sorry to make you go on a wild goose chase. This is probably also due to a
bug (ITS#1939) in 2.1.3 back-bdb/idl.c. This has been patched in the CVS
HEAD.

The symptoms of this bug are that adds fail somewhere around 65535 entries,
just as you've encountered. This is an indication that an index slot in an
index database (objectclass, most likely) has just been maxed out. There is
code to convert this index slot from a fixed-size list into a range
specifier, and that code is broken in 2.1.3. If you can, try getting the
current idl.c (rev 1.51 as of today) from CVS and rebuild your slapd, that
should take care of this problem.

And again, for tuning purposes, you'll get better performance if you can put
the transaction logs on a separate physical disk from the actual databases.
Bumping up the log buffer size and setting NOSYNC also helps, of course.

  -- Howard Chu