From: Alan Sparks [mailto:asparks@doublesparks.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 5:24 PM
To: Kristin.Engstrom@netiq.com
Cc: bruno.eteve@atempo.com; tpalmer@cyntergyllc.com;
openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org
Subject: RE: Difficulty searching by groupOfNames member

I think the issue involved here is DN normalization.  OpenLDAP will
normalize (remove spaces and cruft) under many circumstances before using
the value.  It's possible that your search is using the normalized DN
against the database, and therefore matching the member attribute you've
manually normalized (removed spaces), and not the unnormalized value.

I've learned that using unnormalized values always seems to get me in
trouble.  I'd try not to store unnormalized values if at all possible.

Hope that helps.  Hope that's right, too.  :-)
-Alan

Kristin Engstrom said:
> Well, things are improving slightly.  I started playing around with the
> spaces and commas separating elements of the member attribute dn and
> filter dn.  I am able to get a match on my search iff the member dn is
> stored with NO spaces.  Here's my example (with my comments in
> parentheses):
> Directory entries:
> ==================
> # TestGroup, Reseller1, netiq, com
> dn: cn=TestGroup, o=Reseller1, dc=netiq, dc=com
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: groupOfNames
> cn: TestGroup
> member: uid=00001
> member: uid=00002
> member: cn=Robert Vieira,o=Reseller1,dc=netiq,dc=com
> (<-- note, no spaces)
>
> # TestGroup1, Reseller1, netiq, com
> dn: cn=TestGroup1, o=Reseller1, dc=netiq, dc=com
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: groupOfNames
> cn: cn=TestGroup1
> member: uid=00001
> member: uid=00011
> member: cn=Robert Vieira, o=Reseller1, dc=netiq, dc=com
> (<-- note, some spaces)
> member: cn=Davey Crocket o=Reseller1 dc=netiq dc=com
>
> Search command:
> ===============
> ldapsearch -x -b "dc=netiq,dc=com" -D "cn=Manager,dc=netiq,dc=com" -w
> secret "(member=cn=Robert Vieira, o=Reseller1, dc=netiq, dc=com)"
>
> (Notice that I included spaces between the elements of the dn in the
> filter.)
>
> Search results:
> ===============
> # TestGroup, Reseller1, netiq, com
> dn: cn=TestGroup, o=Reseller1, dc=netiq, dc=com
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: groupOfNames
> cn: TestGroup
> member: uid=00001
> member: uid=00002
> member: cn=Robert Vieira,o=Reseller1,dc=netiq,dc=com

> The search also finds the same single record when the filter is
> "(member=cn=Robert Vieira,o=Reseller1,dc=netiq,dc=com)".  I.e., NO
> spaces in the dn.
>
> It strikes me as odd that my filter matched the group which had no
> spaces in the member's dn and failed to match the group where the member
> dn and my filter matched PERFECTLY.  I know spaces are somewhat
> optional, but why didn't OpenLDAP ignore them such that TestGroup1 would
> match?  I realize that, inspite of the documentation, LDAP doesn't
> really treat member attributes as DNs.  Bruno, are you storing your
> member attributes with spaces in the DN?
>
> At least I'm getting somewhere slowly.  Thanks everyone.  If I get any
> more insight into what's going on, I'll post it.  Thanks everyone in
> advance for doing the same.
>
> Kristin

Alan Sparks, UNIX/Linux Systems Administrator
<asparks@doublesparks.net>