Re: windows authentication & openldap: explanation.

Brian (Wright), what you mentioned is correct for the old-style windows
authentication with the old NT 4 and below systems.  (Actually, Win95 and
NT 3 systems did everything in clear text.)  Modern windows clients (2000,
XP) allow for much better authentication mechanisms such as Kerberos.
OpenLDAP supports Kerberos authentication.

So, if you have to support WinME and Win9x clients, yes, you need Samba to
provide the old-style of Windows authentication.  However, the question
still stands:  Why can't one use OpenLDAP as a replacement for Active
Directory using a modern authentication scheme such as Kerberos?  I would
love to hear the answer to that question too.

In addition to the authentication problem, there is the authorization
problem.  Active Directory is used for authorization of such things as
user and group policies.  Microsoft clients lookup authorization related
fields in Active Directory when the user logs into the domain.  Some of
these fields have an undocumented format (such as ntSecurityDescriptor).
I believe the authorization piece of Active Directory makes Active
Directory more difficult to replace then the authentication piece.

- Christoph