Auto notify directory changes?

Greetings!

I am forced to work with OpenLdap on the windows platform for this project.
On windows, SLURPD is unavailable.   I need to tightly integrate some
applications with LDAP.  So other than manually parsing the repicalog.log
file....

1. How can another process be notified of directory modifications/changes?

2. Has some form of persistent search been implemented?  This is unclear
from the archives.

3. Can a backend be used for this?  If so, would someone be so kind as to
post a quick pseudo example?

 Does anyone have suggestions or clues on how to proceed?

Thanks for you time.

nospamHoward.Moore@starbase.com