Berkeley DB 4.0.14 and openldap 2.1.3

Maybe this could help someone :-)

Thanks to the long discussion about this subject, I now have everything
working with a bdb database, was previously gdbm. Not to say that I like
it yet, but I'm getting used to everything, little by little.

Configure options for Berkeley BDB and Openldap are listed below.

My OS is RedHat 7.2 with many mods. File system is efs2. Apparently it
doesn't like the standard Berkeley "large files". I wouldn't know how
large large files are, but by disabling them, I can run everything. It
took a lot of puzzeling and trying different things, plus much time.
Because after compiling opeldap, we always run 'make test', don't we?

How you all helped me, was:

1: by pointing out that /usr/include/db.h (for me a symlink
/usr/include/db3/db.h) was the wrong one. By putting that symlink to
/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.0/include/db.h, (obviously after installing
Sleebycat v4) a number of problems were solved: i.e. "incompatible
Berkeley version".

2: by stressing that it is preferable to use BDB to gdbm, because of
database corruption and "holes". That made me want to keep on trying,
instead of being content with "it works, so why change it?"

O,k,

1: Berkeley config:

in build_unix: ../dist/configure --disable-largefile

2: Openldap config:

CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include/sasl -I/usr/include/gdbm \
 -I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.0/include" \
LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.0/lib -L/usr/local/lib/sasl2" \
 ./configure \
	--enable-bdb=yes \
	--enable-ldbm=yes \
	--enable-crypt=yes \
	--enable-dnssrv=yes \
	--enable-rlookups=yes \
	--enable-ipv6=no \
	--enable-local=yes \
	--enable-referrals=yes \
	--with-tls \
	--enable-dynamic=yes

Why all the shit with the latter? Why not just './configure'? Mainly
because I want to lnow exactly what I'm doing.

I'd like to say what a great list this is. Best and thanks to you all.
The next step is tls and pam_ldap + nss_ldap.

Tony

The worst is yet to come

--

Tony Earnshaw

e-post:		tonni@billy.demon.nl
www:		http://www.billy.demon.nl
gpg public key:	http://www.billy.demon.nl/tonni.armor

Telefoon:	(+31) (0)172 530428
Mobiel:		(+31) (0)6 51153356

GPG Fingerprint = 3924 6BF8 A755 DE1A 4AD6 FA2B F7D7 6051 3BE7 B981
3BE7B981