Re: Are my ldapadd and ldapsearch accessing the DB ?

Hi again..here is some more information that might be of help.

After installing and setting up the openldap server, I ran a application program (Directory.java) that creates actor objects and registers them (their actor ids and actor attributes) at the ldap server. The error message I get is that the attributes are not being added to the ldap server. The exact error message is as below
Directory: AddActor Error : netscape.ldap.LDAPReferralException: referral (9); Referral:
ldap://oops.i.did.it.again; Partial results and referral received

I have re-installed the Berkeley DB several times and the same goes with the openldap software. Each time following the respective quick start guides to the letter !! But with this referral error, I'm quite lost. I can't figure out where to start to look from coz all I want is a stand alone ldap server and thatz what I have (I think) specified in the slapd.conf file.

So, even if anybody can hint/suggest where the possible error might be, I can atleast explore all possibilities. Right now, I don't know where to begin with. So, please let me know .... would be pretty grateful.

herez my slapd.conf file once again :
# $OpenLDAP: pkg/ldap/servers/slapd/slapd.conf,v 1.8.8.7 2001/09/27 20:00:31 kurt Exp $
#
# See slapd.conf(5) for details on configuration options.
# This file should NOT be world readable.
#
include /extra/mayur0/sw/pub/openldap/etc/openldap/schema/core.schema
include /extra/mayur0/sw/pub/openldap/etc/openldap/schema/local.schema
schemacheck off
# Do not enable referrals until AFTER you have a working directory
# service AND an understanding of referrals.
referral ldap://oops.i.did.it.again
pidfile /extra/mayur0/sw/pub/openldap/var/slapd.pid
argsfile /extra/mayur0/sw/pub/openldap/var/slapd.args
# Load dynamic backend modules:
# modulepath /extra/mayur0/sw/pub/openldap/libexec/openldap
# moduleload back_ldap.la
# moduleload back_ldbm.la
# moduleload back_passwd.la
# moduleload back_shell.la
#
# Sample Access Control
# Allow read access of root DSE
# Allow self write access
# Allow authenticated users read access
# Allow anonymous users to authenticate
#
#access to dn="" by * read
#access to *
# by self write
# by users read
# by anonymous auth
#
# if no access controls are present, the default is:
# Allow read by all
#
# rootdn can always write!
# ldbm database definitions
database ldbm
suffix "o=dsm.ics.uci.edu, c=US"
# The database directory MUST exist prior to running slapd AND
# should only be accessible by the slapd/tools. Mode 700 recommended.
directory /extra/mayur0/sw/pub/bDB
# Cache Size
cachesize 100000
dbcachesize 1000000
# Indices to maintain
index default pres,eq
#index objectClass
# Disable DB sync
dbcacheNoWsync
rootdn "cn=Manager, o=dsm.ics.uci.edu, c=US"
# Cleartext passwords, especially for the rootdn, should
# be avoid. See slappasswd(8) and slapd.conf(5) for details.
# Use of strong authentication encouraged.
rootpw "secret"

thanks a lot again,
~suraj