Character rejection '#'

Hi,

We are trying to integrate OpenLDAP with Netscape LDAP and once working
slowly Migrate to OpenLDAP, we are 99% there but the following errors have
occurred :

When importing or replicating with each other it falls over due to the fact
that Netscape allows the character #3COMSI where as OpenLDAP does not allow
the '#' character to be used in the LDAP definitions.

Does anyone know a way round this problem, unfortunatly we have 4500 names
using the # infront of the email and all intergrated into scripts that are
too numerous to mention.