Re: OpenLDAP and failover

Le jeu 27 juin, David Wright a écrit :

> There is a nice "half-ass" solution that has proved useful for me. If your
> main, critical use of OpenLDAP is for nss_ldap and pam_ldap, you can get
> away without a complete failover solution. Just have your master replicate
> to a slave and set
>   URI ldap://master.example.com ldap://slave.example.com
> in the config files for these libraries. If they cannot contact the
> master, they will use the slave. Your users won't be able to change
> passwords or shells, or read your company LDAP directory in their
> browsers, but they will still be able to log on and work.

this solution seem very simple, but as you say, if the master server
failed, ldap client just can read from slave server.

I have test this solution, with additional bind_timelimit parameter
set to 1, just look the result :

with the primary server up :

mail1:~# time sh -c 'getent passwd | wc -l'
    176

real    0m5.507s

(Nb: i don't know why this result is so long, my network is 100Mb/s
commuted, all ldap server have a very poor load, if you have some
idea, i'm very interesting.. i try to increase cachesize value without
success, if i use nscd it's worst.. moreover i sawn bug with nscd)

with the primary server down :

mail1:~# time sh -c 'getent passwd | wc -l'
    176

real    0m6.509s

result seem very encouraging, just one supplementary second,
corresponding to my bind_timelimit argument, but there is still
problem with writing operation

> For a complete failover solution, you don't use replication at all. You
> have two identical machines (A and B) which share storage (an external,
> dual-ended, SCSI RAID array) and communicate via a heartbeat. When A
> fails, B takes over A's IP address, mounts the storage, and starts up
> slapd. This can be implemented with open source software. I have tested
> many of the components of this (heartbeats, IP takeover, RAID arrays), but

ok i know linux-ha project but i never test ...
> never actually implemented it in production. I have never been able to
> justify the additional hardware costs (not just the second machine, but
> the really pricy external, dual-ended, SCSI RAID array). If you are
i know very poor things about hardware, do you have more information
about good hardware for do this ?
> interested in implementing this and need a consultant, I would be very
> interested in working with you! :-)

he he, i'll prefer that your company recruit me ;p

--
Bruno Bonfils                                 http://www.debian-fr.org