Going through ldap crash course - HELP

The documentation really isn't that great. I really don't get the DN structure but just following examples, why doesn't this work:

dn: dc=synxpharma,dc=com
objectclass: organization
o: SynX Pharma

dn: uid=root,ou=People,dc=synxpharma,dc=com
uid: root
cn: root
objectClass: account
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: top
objectClass: shadowAccount
userPassword: {crypt}stuff
shadowLastChange: 11858
shadowMax: 99999
shadowWarning: 7
loginShell: /bin/bash
uidNumber: 0
gidNumber: 0
homeDirectory: /root
gecos: root

then ldapadd -xf allthatstuff.ldif gives

adding new entry "dc=synxpharma,dc=com"
ldapadd: update failed: dc=synxpharma,dc=com
ldap_add: No such object (32)

The only thing I changed in the config file is the suffix to read dc=synxpharma,dc=com.

Also, I got the perl migration scripts and when I run the passwd migrator, it makes each entry look like this:

dn: uid=root,ou=People,dc=padl,dc=com
uid: root
cn: root
objectClass: account
objectClass: posixAccount
objectClass: top
objectClass: shadowAccount
userPassword: {crypt}stuff
shadowLastChange: 11858
shadowMax: 99999
shadowWarning: 7
loginShell: /bin/bash
uidNumber: 0
gidNumber: 0
homeDirectory: /root
gecos: root

WHere did the dc=padl come from? I tried finding it in the script and couldn't. Also, when I try to do slapadd, it always points to the last line and says could not parse. I've searched the web for the answers and I find people with the same problem but no real answers (ie people saying "the problem is x, do y").

Redhat 7.3, latest openLdap, latest BDB.

Thanks in advance,
Dmitry