Am I on the right track?

We're attempting to upgrade our mail server and split it across 4 or 5
different servers to ease the load and allow for future expansion.
I've just started crawling around LDAP and it seems to be what we need,
but I thought I'd ask some experts before I wasted everyone's time.
What we're trying to do is have servers on the backend handling small
blocks of users, based on the username.  So server1 would handle users
beginnin with a-e, server2 would be f-l, server3 would be m-r and so on.
We're going to run Postfix and QPopper on each server, so as far as I
can tell the server won't have to be aware of this scenario.  Would LDAP
and possibly the caseIgnoreSubstringsMatch rule be an appropriate
solution?  I'm mostly just looking for a Yes/No answer here.  I don't
mind digging up the proper how-to as it helps me understand what is
actually happening.  I just don't want to spend a week or two learning
LDAP if I won't be able to apply it to my needs.  And of course, if
someone really *wanted* to toss me an example, I certainly wouldn't
ignore it.

Thanks,
--
Kip Turk, RHCE                                       spamdies@wcc.net
Systems Administrator/Killer of Spam/Writer of Code/Penguin Proponent