Re: What is EXTERNAL SASL Mechanism?

Hi Vadim,
the assumption is that the OpenSSL software library is probably not capable of certificate-based
client authentication without an authentication framework. That's the job of SASL-EXTERNAL:
the handling of authentication ID and credential, mapping of the certificate DN into an LDAP
DN context and authorizing the user of LDAP directory access if successful...
If user takes a closer look to the Cyrus SASL library source, there isn't anything ( not even an
autoconf option for SASL-EXTERNAL ) concerning an implementation of SASL-EXTERNAL
mechanism, not as far as I know in the latest version of the library release.
So I guess that's not weird since OpenLDAP is not able to show up with a rootDSE attribute:
supportedSASLMechanism=EXTERNAL
because the SASL library has not even implemented the EXTERNAL mechanism in the library
source code!

regards