synchronization between 2 slapd instances

Hi list,

this message posts 2 questions:

1) is there anything user can do to synchronize two running slapd
instances?
    I'm now running a plain instance 389 & an SSL instance 636. If the
user
    modifies an entry on one instance, resulting changes will not be
visible on
    the other instance until a restart of the slapd process has reloaded
the data-
    base files. How to keep the slapd processes reload and re-read the
files
    periodically while slapd is running?

2) If somebody knows the answer to 1) , How can a user force the slapd
process
    to re-read the database files without having to run an extra slurpd
replication pro-
    cess to replicate the changes.
    Actually our users do not want another slurpd process!

regards