Re: Specific user accounts not available to system.

Caylan Van Larson wrote:

By creating a /etc/passwd file with the needed user information (on hand
luckily) we were able to restore functionality temporarily.  By adding the
passwd file it seemed that the hickup of "seeing if accounts existed" was
fixed.  However, this is only temporary.  Whenever the local passwd file
is removed, it takes about 10 seconds for the command "id username" to
return "no such user".

Verify that all your pam.d config files on betamax are configured the way you think they are. I had a similar hair-pulling experience changing passwords on one of our machines; I eventually discovered that, while the system-auth file was configured correctly for ldap, the passwd file was still running standalone--not stacking onto system-auth.

pg