Re: What is EXTERNAL SASL Mechanism?

SASL/EXTERNAL is used to request that an identity established
by a lower layer be used at the application layer.  In OpenLDAP,
as described in RFC 2829/2830, its used to request the client's
TLS authentication identity be used as the LDAP authentication
identity, which is then used for authorization purposes.