Re: allowing public access on a per-user basis

At 07:43 AM 2002-06-19, charlie derr wrote:
>Hi all,
>        I am wondering what the best solution is for allowing each user to choose whether a particular
>attribute (i.e. telephoneNumber) is visible to others.
>
>        What we've thought of so far is mirroring the attribute (i.e. hiddenTelephoneNumber) and allowing
>telephoneNumber to contain the contents of hiddenTelephoneNumber if and only if the user consents
>(perhaps by use of a third attribute makeTelephoneNumberPublic).  This seems a bit unwieldy though,
>is there a more elegant way to accomplish this?

No need for hidden...  just have an attribute makeTelephoneNumberPublic
which if present makes telephoneNumber public.

 access to attr=telephoneNumber filter="(makeTelephoneNumberPublic=*)"
        by self write
        by * read
 access to attr=telephoneNumber
        by self write

If you have a number of differ fields you want to control this
way, you can have one attribute "makePublic" whose values
are the attribute types to be made public.  Then you can
do:

 access to attr=telephoneNumber filter="(makePublic=telephoneNumber)"
        by self write
        by * read
 access to attr=telephoneNumber
        by self write