Re: status of multi-master replication?

Nir,

> You can try using a mechanism like heartbeat, using the multimaster
> capabality, coupled with a heartbeat mechanism and IP takeover will
> work, solve the conflict resolution, and rid you of the pain of
> attempting to promote the slave to the master (and the ensuing 'what
> hasn't been replicated to me' debate).

The problem with that implementation is that a slave slapd cannot accept writes, and must be promoted to a master slapd in some fashion (manually? programatically?). One way to implement this (perhaps) would be that a missed heartbeat would trigger the stoppage of the slave slapd on the remaining cluster member, and start a different instance of slapd which is configured to act as the master for the same part of the DIT. I think the Linux HA project has the ability to run scripts when a heartbeat is missed. In many large enterprise environments, this HA implementation would be passed over in favor of multimaster capabilities.

Elliot