Re: case sensitivity in DNs

At 05:09 AM 2002-06-11, Tarassov Vadim wrote:
>I wonder if answer was indeed correct

The answer was correct in terms of both the DN technical
specification and behavior of OpenLDAP 2.0 and some other
servers.  However, OpenLDAP 2.1 has updated DN code which
implements more fully the distinguish name matching.

>and DNs are indeed not case sensitive.

While a DN can be represented by a string, DN matching (per
specifications) is not based upon comparing of string representations
of the DN but by comparing the values of corresponding attribute value
assertions in the DN by the attribute's equality matching rule.

OpenLDAP 2.1 implements DN matching in this manner.

>Please also notice that message above was published 2 years ago!
>If DN's in OpenLDAP are really not case sensitive and I nevertheless have to have case sensitivity, what would be best from your point of view workaround (I can imagine several, but I am sure there may better ones)?

Use 2.1.